Sweet and fluffy, these Apple Pie Honey Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting will make the perfect addition to your Rosh Hashanah meal!
For the Cupcakes-
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee granules
- 3 ½ cups Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour or All Purpose Flour (if not gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt (fine sea salt or table salt)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark or light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 cup honey
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup orange juice
For the Apple Pie Filling -
- ¼ cup dark or light brown sugar, packed
- 3 medium apples, cored, peeled and diced small
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (dairy or plant-based)
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour or All Purpose Flour (if not gluten free)
For the Frosting-
- 12 ounces unsalted dairy or vegan butter sticks, room temperature (1 ½ sticks)
- 12 ounces cream cheese block(s) (dairy or non-dairy), softened (Approx. 2, 8 oz blocks)
- 6 - 7 ½ cups confectioners sugar
- 5 tablespoons honey
Make the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two 12-count Texturra Performance Non-Stick Bakeware Muffin Pans with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, mix boiling water with espresso powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients including the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients including the oil, honey, eggs, vanilla extract and orange juice. Mix until it just starts to come together.
- Pour the liquid mixture into dry ingredients and mix just until it becomes lumpy.
- Then, add in the water-espresso mixture (it’s ok if it’s still hot) and whisk the batter until everything is combined.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into each muffin liner, making sure each muffin cavity is ¾ filled. This will make approximately 28-32 muffins, so you may need to bake the muffins in batches.
- Bake muffin for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before icing.
Make the Apple Pie Filling:
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, diced apples, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and butter. Heat until bubbly and apples are softened about 8-12 minutes, mixing frequently.
- Mix gluten free flour with 2 tablespoons of water in a small bowl.
- Once the apples have softened, mix in the flour-water mixture over low heat. The mixture will quickly become super thick. After 1-2 minutes remove from heat and allow to cool.
Make the Frosting:
- In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a bowl with a handheld electric mixer, beat together the butter and cream cheese until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl halfway through to ensure everything is well incorporated.
- Add the honey and mix for 1 minute.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Once all the confectioners sugar is added and incorporated enough that it shouldn’t splatter everywhere, turn the mixer to medium speed and beat the buttercream for 5-8 minutes until white and fluffy.
Decorate the Cupcakes:
- Once cupcakes are fully cooled use a paring knife to slightly core the center of the cupcake or use an apple corer to remove the center. Don’t remove the cake all the way at the bottom though. We are just looking to make a well in the cupcake.
- Fill the center of each cupcake with a generous amount of the cooked apple filling, making sure to pile it high in the center.
- Then, place the buttercream into a Wilton Piping bag fitted with a Wilton 1M star tip and pipe two rings of icing around the apple filling. Add more apple filling to the center if needed.
- Decorate all cupcakes with icing and store in an airtight container on the counter (if the weather is cool) for 1 day, or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Allow cupcakes to come to room temperature about 20 minutes before serving!
You can freeze the baked cupcakes for later and fill and decorate when ready to serve!
- Category: Cupcakes
Keywords: Apple Pie Honey Cupcakes