Broccoli Crunch Salad is the best gluten free & dairy free summer salad, perfect for all occasions! Make this with veggies, nuts & dressing!
For the Salad
- 2 Broccoli heads, cut into small florets
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 8 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- ¾ cup toasted walnuts
- ¾ cup diced red onion, about 1 small onion or ½ large onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (for later). Also, begin with bringing a medium pot filled with at least 5 inches of water to a boil, on the stove.
- Once the water boils, carefully add the chopped broccoli florets and cook 2 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the broccoli to a large bowl filled with ice water. Allow to chill in the ice water for 1-2 minutes, before transferring broccoli to a paper towel to dry.
- Once broccoli is no longer wet, transfer to a large bowl and set aside for later use.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a frying pan and turn the heat to medium. Add ⅓ of the sliced mushrooms and arrange in an even layer. Cook 2 minutes before flipping each mushroom or simply mixing and cooking another 2 minutes until golden on both sides. Transfer cooked mushrooms to a plate and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Repeat the mushroom cooking process with the remaining 2 batches of mushrooms, so that each batch can cook in an even layer. Add more oil between each batch if needed.
- Once mushrooms are cooked use the same frying pan to toast the pine nuts over a medium-low heat, about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan immediately once golden so that they don’t burn.
- Set aside mushrooms and pine nuts to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts in the oven for 5 minutes until fragrant. Once cooked + cooled, chop into medium pieces.
- Make the dressing by whisking together all the dressing ingredients in a medium bowl. Alternatively, use a blender to prepare the dressing.
- Combine the blanched broccoli, pan-seared mushrooms, pine nuts, chopped walnuts, yellow pepper & red onion to a large bowl. Mix together.
- Pour all the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss until combined.
- Category: Salads
Keywords: Broccoli Crunch Salad, gluten free broccoli salad, broccoli salad, salad recipes