Passover is right around the corner, so today I’m sharing my fabulous Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Stick recipe!
Over the past couple of years of posting recipes on Youtube and this blog, I always left my Passover recipe posts for last second, sharing them the week before and on Passover. This year, that is not the case and I’m so excited to be sharing healthy-ish gluten-free and dairy-free Passover recipes over the next four week!
I decided to make a change this year to my posting schedule because it came to my attention that tons of people start preparing for Passover a month in advance! My Savta (aka grandmother) is even almost done with her food shopping! I guess at 18 years-old, not hosting Passover at my house, there hasn’t been much/anything for me to prep weeks in advance for.
So, this year I got super organized and started recipe testing Passover recipes a few weeks ago and they’re sooooooooooooo good this year!
I’m kicking things off with these Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Sticks.
Let’s talk about them:
- They taste phenomenal! Chocolatey! Nutty! Chewy! A bit crunchy on the outside!
- They’re made 1,2,3 in a food processor!
- There are only 8 ingredients!
- There’s NO margarine! *None of my recipes this year have margarine ????
- These cookies are ACTUALLY healthy!
Some of you may look at these cookies and think “Biscotti”. They may look like biscotti and are made like biscotti, but just to clear the air, they don’t taste like biscotti. Biscotti tend to be on the crunchier drier side. These cookies are slightly crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside, more like a soft-chewy chocolate chip cookie bar, just in stick form.
Here’s how these Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Sticks are made:
- Make the dough in a food processor.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Form each dough into a log and flatten it.
- Bake the bars.
- Cut the bars.
- Bake the bars again.
It’s one of the simplest recipes to make!
Even if you don’t celebrate Passover, make them!! You’ll be missing out on what may be one of your favorite healthy cookies ever.Print
Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookie Sticks (Passover/Gluten-Free/Vegan)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars
- Category: Passover, gluten-free, vegan, cookies, bars
- 2 cups almond flour (not crushed almonds!!)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates (about 7 dates), soaked in hot water for ONLY 10 minutes (no longer!)
- 3 tablespoons room temperature virgin coconut oil
- 1 or 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor pulse together the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Then, add in the soft, soaked dates.
- Blend on high speed until the mixture looks like wet sand.
- Next, add the oil and blend again.
- If the dough looks dry and hasn’t formed one mass yet, add 1 tablespoon of almond milk at a time until the mixture forms into one large clump of dough.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and mix in the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts.
- Divide the dough in half, and form into two logs on the prepared baking sheet. They should be about 3” wide x 9” long. Press the log down to flatten it a bit.
- Bake for 13 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and carefully slice each log into 8 bars.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire baking rack for 1 hour before eating or storing.
*If the cookies are frozen, they might lose their crunchy exterior and become softer when defrosted. These cookies are best if eaten within 3-4 days, but can be frozen.
*Store the cookies in a container on the counter, not a ziplock, so that they don’t soften too quickly.