After much recipe testing, I’ve developed the most incredible Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe that is gluten free and Passover friendly! You may be wondering, what makes this cake different from all other Passover cakes? Is it really so special?
Well, YES it is! This cake is like no other Passover cake because of its unique ingredient combo of almond flour, tapioca flour, and coconut flour which makes for a gluten-like cake!
Over the past few weeks, I’ve been researching Passover recipes, and many seemed to be full of unhealthy oils (aka: cottonseed oil) and exorbitant amounts of margarine. Although I am totally guilty of using these ingredients each Passover, I made it my mission to create a few healthier cake recipes this year. I’m so glad I succeeded in this endeavor!
Get ready, gather your ingredients, and start baking! You will not be disappointed!
Check out the video tutorial here: https://youtu.be/8hUG9XAMxgM
Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 35 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 15 servings
- Category: Cakes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (use coconut sugar to make the cake Paleo)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar ((use coconut sugar to make the cake Paleo)
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil/butter/other flavorless oil (use coconut oil for a paleo cake)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped walnuts, ground
- 2 1/2 cups ground almond meal (aka: almond flour)
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch (aka: tapioca flour)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup flavorless oil (ie: grape seed, canola, or vegetable)
- 1/2 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
To Make The Cinnamon Filling:
- Mix brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
To Make The Cinnamon Topping:
- Pulse the walnuts in a blender or food processor until finely chopped (but not ground).
- Dump all the ingredients into a bowl and mix until combined. Set aside.
To Make the Cake Batter:
- Preheat the oven to 315℉. Grease and line a 9” x 9” square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond meal, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Then, add in the honey, oil, milk, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. Mix until no clumps remain.
- Add in the eggs and egg whites and beat until well combined.
Assemble + Bake the Cake:
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan, and spread out evenly. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon filling mixture over the cake batter, and then top with the remaining cake batter.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of the cinnamon filling over the cake, and then distribute the cinnamon topping on the top of the cake.
- Give the cake a final sprinkle of cinnamon filling for good measure.
- Bake the cake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake for at least 30 minutes before serving.
This cake is delicious served room temperature or warm.