Dark Chocolate Orange Cake is simple to make, plus this recipe is gluten free & dairy free, perfect for your summer baking!
For the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 heaping Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup semi sweet chopped chocolate (or chocolate chunks/chips)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (approx zest of 1 large orange or 2 regular sized oranges)
For the Chocolate Ganache Icing:
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- 8 oz chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8” or 9” circle cake pan with cooking spray. I like to grease a non-stick pan with oil & line with a parchment paper circle. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free baking flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder & salt. Sift in the cocoa powder if it’s clumpy; if not clumpy, mix right in!
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients using a mixing spoon and pour in the eggs, oil, water & orange juice.
- Whisk ingredients together until a chocolatey cake batter forms.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate & orange zest.
- Transfer the cake batter to the greased pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 50-60 minutes. A toothpick should come out mostly clean from the center (keep in mind the melted chocolate chunks may make the toothpick somewhat wet when testing the cake).
- Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes before flipping onto a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Prepare chocolate ganache frosting (recipe outlined below).
- Spread chocolate ganache frosting onto the cooled cake, decorate with orange slices & serve!
Make the Frosting:
- Place chopped chocolate into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place the coconut milk in a small pot and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Once simmering, pour over the bowl of chocolate and allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix together with a rubber spatula or a spoon until smooth and thickened.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.
- Note: If the frosting gets too firm once ready to use, microwave for 15 seconds to soften.
- Category: cake
- Method: Baking
Keywords: dark chocolate orange cake, dark chocolate cake, gluten free chocolate cake, gluten free orange cake, gluten free dark chocolate cake