- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch or potato starch
- 3 tablespoons white rice flour
- 4-6 shallots, sliced
- ½ to ¾ cup canola oil
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl toss together the tapioca starch, white rice flour and sliced shallots. Use your fingers to shingle the shallots so that the tapioca/rice flour coats each ring.
- Heat ½” canola oil in a medium pot. Drop one slice of onion in and if the oil sizzles, you’re ready to fry! Carefully, add enough sliced shallots to the hot oil until there’s an even layer, not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown and crisp. Remove cooked onions using a slotted spoon and place onto a paper-towel lined plate.
- Repeat the cooking process with remaining raw shallots until all are fried. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt after cooking. Use as needed!
Keywords: Gluten Free French Fried Onions