Woohoo, the holidays are near! These Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies are a great treat to make for any holiday party this year!
A couple of days ago I made gluten-free gingerbread cookies for the first time, and the second they came out of the oven I had a feeling they were going to taste magical. After allowing the cookies to cool for five minutes I quickly grabbed a cookie and took a bite… OMG, they tasted amazing! I had never tried a gingerbread cookie in my life. Since I don’t celebrate Christmas, I didn’t grow up indulging in this traditional holiday cookie. I am so glad that I finally gave them a try!
I actually learned some really cool facts in the midst of this cookie creation. Did you know there are two kinds of molasses??
The grocery stores sell regular Molasses and Blackstrap Molasses. Before making this recipe I did some research and learned that Blackstrap molasses is much more concentrated since it’s boiled three times, resulting in a more bitter flavor and making it extra sweet. There are also many health benefits to Blackstrap molasses. So, I decided to try the Blackstrap molasses in these cookies.
I used very little molasses because the cookies can be bitter if too much is added to the batter. Using 2 1/2 tablespoons of the molasses in these cookies worked perfectly!
Also, here’s a little tip. Place the cookies in a ziplock bag overnight and they will become chewy and soft. I love eating these cookies both ways, slightly crunchy the first day and then soft and chewy the second day.
One of the best parts of these gluten-free gingerbread cookies is how simple they are to make! You whisk the liquid ingredients in a large bowl, then add the dry ingredients, fold them together, roll into balls, sprinkle some sugar over each cookie, and bake. It’s extremely simple!
Watch the Youtube video here: https://youtu.be/AHEFcVIv7b4
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
Check these out: Pumpkin Pie Bars, Healthy Green Bean Casserole, Mini Cranberry Cobblers, Shakshuka for 1 , Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins, Apple Cranberry Breakfast Bars, Pumpkin Coconut Curry Soup, Gluten-Free Baked Pumpkin Donuts, Healthy Apple Pie, Raspberry Loaf
Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 11-12 cookies
- Category: Cookies, Dessert
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (Cold-pressed unrefined coconut oil is the healthiest)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp organic brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (I recommend Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour. You can use all-purpose flour if not gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the egg, molasses, coconut oil, sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Then, add the remaining ingredients except for the 1/4 cup of cane sugar.
- Mix all the ingredients together until a dough is formed.
- Scoop heaping tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into balls.
- Roll each ball in the granulated sugar and then press down on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle a bit of sugar on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Recipe adapted from the amazing: runningwithspoons.com