This Orzo recipe uses a delicious gluten free orzo option that pairs perfectly with sautéed onions & mushrooms for the perfect side dish!
- 2, 7oz bags Banza Chickpea Rice or two 8oz bags Jovial Grain Free Cassava Orzo
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt (put 1 tsp in veg and 1 tsp later when mixing all together)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- Cook gluten free orzo in a pot of boiling water according to package directions.
- While orzo boils, begin with sauteing the sliced shallots with olive oil in a pan on the stove, over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, until slightly golden brown and translucent.
- To the pan of shallots, mix in the minced garlic & sliced mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked & softened. Mix in 1 teaspoon salt & pepper.
- When the orzo is finished cooking, strain the orzo and rinse thoroughly with water to remove any excess starch. Make sure what is strained out.
- Pour oat milk into the shallot-mushroom mixture along with the cooked orzo, 1 teaspoon salt & garlic powder. Cook an additional 2-3 minutes over medium-low heat, until milk is absorbed.
- Serve right away or allow to cool and store in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop Cooking
Keywords: Gluten Free Orzo, gluten free rice orzo, orzo, gluten free orzo dish