For the Latkes:
- 1 1/2 pounds russet (approx. 3 to 4 medium potatoes, 2-3 large potatoes)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, optional
- 1 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
For the Parsley-Cilantro & Walnut Gremolata:
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley, stems removed
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted in the oven for 5 min
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Vegan Sour cream
Make the Latkes:
- Peel potatoes and place into a large bowl filled with cold water. This will prevent potatoes from turning brown while the others are being peeled.
- Once potatoes are peeled, use a food processor fitted with the shredding blade to shred the potatoes. Alternatively, use a handheld grater to shred the potatoes. Then, shred in the onion as well.
- Place shredded potato/onion mixture into a cheesecloth or thin kitchen towel and wring out any excess liquid into the sink.
- Place the dry, shredded potatoes & onion into a bowl and add the egg, potato starch, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Heat oil in a medium-large skillet with high sides, on the stove over medium-high heat. To test if oil is ready, drop in a tiny piece of the potato mixture -- if it starts to sizzle, you’re set!
- Lower the heat to a medium flame to prevent oil from splattering. Scoop ¼ cup of the potato latke mixture and press down into the measuring cup to squeeze out any excess liquid. Then, place into the pan. Only fry 3-4 latkes at a time to prevent overcrowding.
- Cook latkes for 2-3 minutes on one side, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Drain latkes onto a paper towel lined plate or baking sheet.
- To keep latkes warm and crisp, place onto a pan in a 200°F oven for up to 15 minutes before serving.
Make the Parsley-Cilantro & Walnut Gremolata:
- Pulse all ingredients in a food processor (without the vegan sour cream).
- Mix in 1-2 tablespoons more olive oil if necessary.
- Spread the vegan sour cream onto a dish and top with the blended Parsley-Cilantro & Walnut Gremolata. Decorate with the fried latkes. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Hanukkah