Butternut Squash Miso Soup
Butternut Squash Miso Soup is quite unique in the way that it is a thick blended soup, with hints of miso. It's sweet, but balanced because of the onions, zucchini and potato, giving it the perfect flavor for the start of lunch or dinner.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 2 ½ tablespoons miso paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 zucchini cubed
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 large or 2 small russet or idaho potato es, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth I recommend low sodium
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 ounces baby spinach optional
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon harissa spice
Rub miso all over butternut squash cubes and let sit for ten minutes.
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and chopped garlic. Sweat for about 5 minutes.
Next, add in the cubed butternut squash, zucchini and potato to the pot. Cook 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.
Add salt, black pepper and vegetable broth. Cook for about 20 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
Transfer ¾ of the soup to a high speed blender or use an immersion blender to blend the ingredients until smooth. Mix the blended soup back into the pot with the leftover chunky soup.
Cook soup for another 10 minutes, then mix in spinach.
Season with more salt and pepper to taste if needed. Enjoy!
- Butternut Squash Miso Soup Topping ideas (shown in images): Save the seeds from the butternut squash and roast them with some olive oil, salt and harissa at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle the toasted seeds on the soup and add a drizzle of coconut milk along with some herbs (I used cilantro) and a sprinkle of harissa.
- This soup yields 6 decent sized soup bowls, but if you plan to have seconds you may want to consider doubling the recipe!
- The spinach is not shown in the photos above, but I have made this recipe with spinach before and it's incredible too!
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1309mg | Potassium: 964mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 15911IU | Vitamin C: 53mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 2mg