What's better than an ice cream sandwich on a warm summer day? They are composed of a chewy cookie and sweet chilled ice cream; what a treat! Let's run through how to make the simplest of Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches ever!
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
Making these Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches is as easy as pie! Honestly, way easier than pie!!
Start with baking your favorite cookie dough to perfection, chill & scoop ice cream between two cookies to form sandwiches. How easy is that?!
THE BEST GLUTEN FREE COOKIES FOR THESE SANDWICHES
Now, I may be biased, but personally, I love a Sweet Loren's cookies for ice cream sandwiches! As the lead recipe photographer at Sweet Loren's, I always have extra packages of cookie dough on hand. Their cookie dough comes in pre-portioned pieces and it only takes 11-13 minutes to bake warm and chewy cookies.
I also love the Sweet Loren's cookie for this recipe because they hold up very well against the ice cream. They maintain their chewy texture even when frozen and taste phenomenal.
For this recipe, I opted for the Sweet Loren's Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough, but you can also try making sandwiches with any of their other pre-portioned flavors.
If you aren't able to get ahold of Sweet Loren's online or in-store, feel free to use another place & bake cookie dough option or make your favorite homemade cookies!
WHAT TYPE OF ICE CREAM IS USED
I recently discovered Oatly ice cream, and I've got to tell you, it's amazing!! Each of their flavors are quite flavorful and have the most luscious texture. I'd recommend you try this ice cream as a great plant-based option.
Feel free to use any ice cream brand you love in this recipe as well!
QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE ABOUT THIS RECIPE
What if I'm not gluten free? I highly recommend the Sweet Loren's cookie dough for anyone looking to make a slightly cleaner-ingredient recipe, made with plant-based, whole grain ingredients. Of course though, you can use any cookie you love!
Can I add sprinkles or chopped nuts to the sides of these cookie sandwiches? Absolutely! Right after sandwiching the cookies with ice cream, roll or press your favorite toppings into the ice cream sides.
Can I double or triple this recipe? Yes!! You can make as many ice cream sandwiches as you like. Go for it!
Gluten Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 2 packages Sweet Loren’s Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough or other place & bake gluten free cookie dough
- 1 ½ pints ice cream of choice or an assortment of ice cream I used chocolate, vanilla & raspberry swirl Oatly Oat Milk Ice Cream
- Bake cookies according to package directions. Allow to cool completely then set in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Next, allow ice cream to soften at room temperature, about 10 minutes, only if it’s hard to scoop.
- Scoop a ball of ice cream onto the bottom side of 1 cookie. Add another cookie to top off the ice cream and form a sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining cookies & ice cream until 12 ice cream cookie sandwiches are formed.
- Store in the freezer in a container or ziplock for up to 2 months.
- I love Sweet Loren's Cookie Dough but feel free to use any gluten free cookie dough you prefer or have on hand.
- Make this recipe your own by adding different flavor ice creams or even pressing add-ons such as mini chocolate chips into the sides of the sandwich.