What do I love most in this world? Oat Milk Rice Pudding is at the top of the list!
If you know me in person, I’m ALWAYS talking about rice pudding & this version makes the cut! Oat milk rice pudding is my new go-to for a dairy-free version that tastes delicious & creamy every time.
What is rice pudding?
If you've never heard of rice pudding before, you've come to the right place!
Rice pudding is a rich, creamy rice recipe, that is made creamy with a full-fat milk & thickened with eggs. It is only made with a couple of simple ingredients, you most likely have on hand, which makes it the perfect dish to whip up on a whim!
How to make oat milk rice pudding
Rice pudding is fairly easy to make!
- You start by cooking raw rice with water according to the package directions, without adding any oil or salt.
- Once the rice is cooked, it cooks a second time with full fat oat milk & lots of sugar!
- Once the rice-milk mixture has thickened (after about 25 minutes of cooking), you'll temper the eggs by adding in a bit of the rice mixture to them whisking fast. Also mix in vanilla!
- Then, the egg-rice mixture is transferred back to the pot to cook for another few minutes.
- Once fully cooked, it's time to transfer the rice pudding to a baking dish & sprinkle on cinnamon. Serve warm or cold!
How to thicken rice pudding?
There are two parts to thickening the rice pudding:
- Adding the milk & cooking low and slow.
- Adding in tempered eggs
We touched on this earlier a bit, but let's get into the details!
TEMPERING - Tempering is a process in this recipe where you add a small portion of the hot rice mixture into a separate bowl with 2 eggs, whisking very fast, to ensure that the eggs don't scramble once added to the pot.
Then, once this "tempered" egg-rice mixture is added back into the pot and stirred, this will help the pudding become even thicker!Print