Creamy, sweet and savory at the same time, this Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole will be the star of your Thanksgiving meal!
Have you ever had a green bean casserole that you weren't completely in love with?? I think that happens a lot. Green Bean Casseroles can be gooey and too salt, but I'm here to break the news for you -- the is hope! With my Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole recipe, you are setting yourself up for success and it is nearly impossible to mess up.
This Green Bean Casserole that is gluten free, dairy free and vegan, is an incredible side dish to any meal; especially those holidays meals that are approaching.
Here's how you make it!
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
For the Crispy Fried Onions:
- Tapioca starch or potato starch
- White rice flour
- Canola oil or other neutral oil
- Sea salt
For the Green Beans:
- Fresh green beans
- Plant-based butter
- Fresh garlic
- Baby bella or cremini mushrooms
- Dry white or dry red wine
- Gluten free flour
- No chicken chicken broth or vegetable stock
- Oat milk or other plant-based milk
- Sea salt & black pepper
HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE FROM SCRATCH
How to make gluten free French onions for green bean casserole included!
- Fry the shallots! You will mix together the shallots with starch and rice flour and fry in oil until crispy perfection. Sprinkle with salt after cooking.
- Blanch the green beans. Bring water to a boil and drop in green beans & boil for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer green beans to a bowl with ice water. Allow to chill then drain out water.
- Sauté the onions, garlic & mushrooms in vegan butter. Then, add the flour and wine. Once evaporated, mix in broth, plant based milk, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil until thickened. Then mix in the blanched green beans.
- Bake in an oven safe pan for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fried shallots and bake another 5 minutes!
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
Can I make it in advance?
Absolutely! If making this casserole ahead of time, don't add the shallots right away. Bake the casserole, allow to cool, cover and refrigerate. Then, before serving, reheat the casserole for 15-20 minutes, then add the crispy fried shallots and bake another 5 minutes.
What kind of flour should I use as the gluten free flour?
I highly recommend Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour, but you can use any gluten free flour you have. Alternatively, you can use tapioca starch, but be sure to mix it with a tablespoon of water before adding it to the pan.
Can I use frozen green beans in green bean casserole?
I wouldn't recommend using frozen green beans in this recipe because they will release alot of moisture and might make your casserole soggier than intended. If need be, use frozen green beans but I can't guarantee the results.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Salmon Quinoa Caesar Salad
- Sausage & Date Stuffed Mushrooms with Almonds
- Hearts of Palm Quinoa Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- Broccoli Crunch Salad