Have you ever made Loaded Plantain Tacos? They are a must-try and definitely worth the search for your unique taco shell!
It all started when I received a shipment of Plantain tortillas for a collaboration photoshoot I was working on for a brand. I had to test out this plantain-based product to make sure it was worth the hype - it so was!
I am a huge fan of using a plantain tortilla as a taco shell now. You can purchase these tortillas ready made, or make a homemade version like this.
Let's jump into the Loaded Platain Taco recipe! It's more of a do-it-yourself recipe, featuring everything but the kitchen sink sort of ingredients.
The ingredients used & their preparations:
- Plantain tortillas (homemade or store-bought)
- Ground beef or vegan ground beef (along with spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin) - Cooked on the stovetop with spices until slightly dark but not overdone.
- Premade rice - I used delicious leftover Basmati rice spiced with turmeric, cumin, salt & coriander. There were also small potato cubes cooked into the rice!
- Red peppers, sautéed in your favorite oil
- Onion, sautéed sautéed in your favorite oil
- Avocado - halve the avocado and slice into thin half-moons
- Cilantro - you can simply break the cilantro with your fingers or chop finely
- Lime - Lime is crucial to bringing together all the flavors in this recipe! I recommend cutting a lime into quarters and serving it at the table when ready to eat. This way, each person can drizzle the lime on their food!
- Shredded coconut, toasted
- Garlic Mayo! (not featured in the photo, but definitely necessary)
Assembling These Tacos
It helps to layout all the ingredients in small bowls so that assembly can be done in a pinch!
Layer up all the taco ingredients in your gluten free tortilla, drizzle with lime juice, garlic mayo & a sprinkle of shredded coconut. Enjoy!Print