Have you ever made Loaded Plantain Tacos? They are a must-try and definitely worth the search for your unique taco shell!
It all started when I received a shipment of Plantain tortillas for a collaboration photoshoot I was working on for a brand. I had to test out this plantain-based product to make sure it was worth the hype - it so was!
I am a huge fan of using a plantain tortilla as a taco shell now. You can purchase these tortillas ready made, or make a homemade version like this.
Let's jump into the Loaded Platain Taco recipe! It's more of a do-it-yourself recipe, featuring everything but the kitchen sink sort of ingredients.
The ingredients used & their preparations:
- Plantain tortillas (homemade or store-bought)
- Ground beef or vegan ground beef (along with spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin) - Cooked on the stovetop with spices until slightly dark but not overdone.
- Premade rice - I used delicious leftover Basmati rice spiced with turmeric, cumin, salt & coriander. There were also small potato cubes cooked into the rice!
- Red peppers, sautéed in your favorite oil
- Onion, sautéed sautéed in your favorite oil
- Avocado - halve the avocado and slice into thin half-moons
- Cilantro - you can simply break the cilantro with your fingers or chop finely
- Lime - Lime is crucial to bringing together all the flavors in this recipe! I recommend cutting a lime into quarters and serving it at the table when ready to eat. This way, each person can drizzle the lime on their food!
- Shredded coconut, toasted
- Garlic Mayo! (not featured in the photo, but definitely necessary)
Assembling These Tacos
It helps to layout all the ingredients in small bowls so that assembly can be done in a pinch!
Layer up all the taco ingredients in your gluten free tortilla, drizzle with lime juice, garlic mayo & a sprinkle of shredded coconut. Enjoy!
Loaded Plantain Tacos
- *4-6 soft Positively Plantain tortillas
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups cooked Basmati rice I used leftover turmeric spiced rice
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado sliced
- ½ large onion or 1 large onion
- 2 red peppers chopped into 1" cubes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Your favorite spicy mayo
- 2 limes
- Shredded coconut toasted
- Begin with sautéing onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook over medium heat, 5-8 minutes until translucent. Remove from pan.
- To the same pan, add the cubed red pepper and saute 5-8 minutes until charred. Remove from pan.
- Next, add the ground beef to the pan and cook over medium-high heat. Mix in ½ teaspoon salt, garlic powder, onion powder & cumin. Cook for 6-10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes to allow the meat to brown.
- Taste the ground beef and add more spices as needed.
- Transfer the ground beef to a bowl and return the pan to the stove over low heat.
- Heat the tortillas for 1-2 minutes per side until softened.
- Assemble the tortillas by layering the rice, ground beef, sautéed onions & peppers, sliced avocado, cilantro, lime juice & shredded coconut. Drizzle with spicy mayo. Repeat with remaining 4-5 tortillas. Enjoy!