Let's make the BEST Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets using plantain chips & almond flour to make the crispiest, flavorful exterior!
Let's dive into the story behind my latest obsession; Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets with Plantain Chips.
Ya ever have those days where you have leftover random ingredients and decide you'll try to create something inventive with them?
Well, that happened to me, when I was running low on gluten free breadcrumbs and wanted a quick alternative to make breaded chicken! In the past, I had opted for a rice-cereal, ground, and it worked well. But, this time, I couldn't figure out what to use.
After some thought, I considered using plantain chips, since I knew that people use corn flakes and they could be similar.
I tested out this exact recipe, and decided to take notes throughout the process, in hopes this recipe would exceed my expectations. It so did!! I was wowed and thought, I must share this recipe with the world.
For me, the plantain chips along with almond flour, white rice flour & nutritional yeast truly make these nuggets phenomenal!
How to make gluten free chicken nuggets
Start with creating the "breadcrumb" blend, which includes:
- Plantain chips
- Almond flour
- White rice flour
- Nutritional yeast
- Sea salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Personally, I swear by all Bob's Red Mill ingredients, specifically for the almond flour, white rice flour & nutritional yeast in this recipe! This post is sponsored, but I'd be using these products regardless since they're my go-to and sold at all my local stores.
Once the dry ingredient breadcrumbs are created, you'll want to whisk together the eggs and milk. This mixture will be used to dunk the chicken pieces into before heading into the breadcrumbs.
Assemble the Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets to Bake!
Time to toss the raw chicken cubes, either white meat or dark meat, in the egg mixture.
Then, carefully place one piece of chicken at a time into the crumb mixture and coat all around.
Once chicken nuggets are arranged, drizzle with olive oil before baking!
Have you ever made chicken nuggets using plantain chips? I'd be super curious to know!
Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets with Plantain Chips
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 oz bag Plantain Chips I like the Barnana Pink Himalayan Sea Salt flavor
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Almond flour
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill White rice flour
- 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, place plantain chips into a food processor and pulse until small crumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, bash the chips in a zipped plastic bag using a rolling pin, until they resemble crumbs.
- Combine plantain-chip breadcrumbs, almond flour, white rice flour, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and onion powder in a large bowl. Mix until combined & set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and non dairy milk.
- Carefully, add all the chicken cubes into the egg & non dairy milk mixture and toss with your hands, so all the chicken pieces are covered in the liquid mixture.
- Carefully, remove one chicken cube from the bowl and lightly shake off any excess egg.
- Place the chicken piece into the bowl of the plantain-almond crumb mixture and coat on all sides.
- Place the chicken cube onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat steps 6 through 8 until all the chicken nuggets are arranged on the baking pans.
- Drizzle each chicken nugget with olive oil or spray with cooking spray, before baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip each chicken nugget and bake an additional 3-5 minutes. Be sure to cut into the center of your thickest chicken nugget to make sure they’re fully cooked through.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before enjoying! Serve with your favorite spicy mayo or garlic aioli.