It's way easier than you think to make perfectly crispy and sweet Gluten Free French Fried Onions!
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO MAKE THESE
- Tapioca starch or potato starch
- White rice flour
- Canola oil
- Sea salt
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE FRENCH ONIONS
- Slice the shallots thinly, and make sure to shingle each piece so that pieces seperate well.
- Next, add the sliced shallots to a bowl and mix in the starch and white rice flour. Toss well to coat the shallots in the dry ingredients.
- Heat ½-inch oil in a pan and test 1 shallot by dropping it in. If it sizzles, it's time to fry!
- Fry the shallots in 3-4 batches, making sure now to overcrowd the pan.
- Drain shallots onto a paper-towel lined plate or pan.
- Season with a sprinkle of salt! Enjoy!
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT GLUTEN FREE FRENCH ONIONS
Which gluten free flour do I use for gluten free French onions?
I highly recommend the combination of potato starch or tapioca starch mixed with white rice flour. It makes for a crispy shallot! If you don't have either of these on hand, you can opt for a gluten free flour blend or ever corn starch.
Do you have a recipe using these gluten free French fried onions?
Yes! You can use them in my Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole recipe.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Salmon Quinoa Caesar Salad
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole
- Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Crumb Topping
- To Die For Blueberry Muffins
Gluten Free French Fried Onions
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch or potato starch
- 3 tablespoons white rice flour
- 4-6 shallots sliced
- ½ to ¾ cup canola oil
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl toss together the tapioca starch, white rice flour and sliced shallots. Use your fingers to shingle the shallots so that the tapioca/rice flour coats each ring.
- Heat ½” canola oil in a medium pot. Drop one slice of onion in and if the oil sizzles, you’re ready to fry! Carefully, add enough sliced shallots to the hot oil until there’s an even layer, not to overcrowd the pan. Fry until golden brown and crisp. Remove cooked onions using a slotted spoon and place onto a paper-towel lined plate.
- Repeat the cooking process with remaining raw shallots until all are fried. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt after cooking. Use as needed!