These Gluten Free Apple Muffins with Crumb Topping with set a new threshold for your gluten free baking standards! Moist, fluffy, filled with warm apple flavor and a subtle crisp topping, these muffins are all you'll need as a snacking companion this weekend.
WHY YOU NEED THESE MUFFINS IN YOUR LIFE
Apple Muffins are a favorite classic, and this gluten free version is no exception! Imagine the fluffiest of apple cakes, filled with super soft baked apples and a perfectly sweetened crumb topping - those are my apple muffins, in a nutshell.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO MAKE THESE GLUTEN FREE APPLE MUFFINS:
- Gluten Free Flour Combo - I truly believe the combination of a 1 to 1 cup gluten free flour paired with almond flour and tapioca flour is the true, optimal combination for a soft and moist muffin. It acts as regular flour and creates the most delicious flavor and yields a great texture.
- Leavening - We use both baking powder and baking soda in this recipe!
- Sugar - I love the combo of white granulated sugar with a bit of brown sugar. The brown sugar as depth of flavor and a golden tone to the muffins. If you only have white sugar on hand, feel free to omit the brown sugar.
- Salt - ALWAYS add salt to your baking recipes. It balances out the flavors in the best way!
- Liquid Ingredients - This recipe calls for oat milk (or other plant based milk), neutral oil, plant based butter (melted) & eggs. This is the ultimate combination of liquid ingredients that will help provide structure and flavor to this muffin.
- Fuji Apples - Lately I love to bake with Fuji apples, they bake so tenderly and taste incredible. Feel free to use any other favorite baking apple of yours!
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE APPLE MUFFINS
This is a one bowl batter recipe, so get ready for minimal clean up and lots of deliciousness!
Begin with whisking together the dry ingredients in a bowl along with the sugars.
Next, make a well in the center of the ingredients and add in all the liquid ingredients.
Whisk until thickened and well combined.
Fold in the chopped apples. I recommend chopping the apples pretty small so that they bake into the apples nicely.
Once the batter is made, set aside and move onto making the Crumb Topping. To make the crumb topping, combine sugar, cinnamon, melted plant based butter and gluten free flour in a mix. Mix, and voila!
Scoop about ⅓ cup batter into each muffin cavity and top with the crumb topping. Repeat until you have about 15 muffins.
Bake the muffins at 400°F for 5 minutes, then 350°F for remaining 25 minutes. Now you have the best muffins ever!!
HOW TO STORE THE MUFFINS
QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
- What kinds of apples can I use in this recipe? My preference is Fuji apples, but you can use any other "baking" apple, such as Honeycrisp or Pink Lady.
- What if I don't have all 3 gluten free flours? Honestly, all 3 flours yield for a muffin that you wouldn't know is gluten free. You can try substituting more almond flour for tapioca if needed, but I can't promise it will taste exactly the same.
- Can I use other fruits in this muffin batter that aren't apples? 100%!! Although baking is a science, when it comes to the mix-in (aka, apples), you can swap them for any equivalent amount of another fruit. Cranberries would be delicious or even chopped strawberries! Just be sure all fruits are patted dry with paper towel so it doesn't add more moisture to the batter.
RECIPES YOU MAY LOVE!
Here are some recipes we think you'll love:
- To Die For Blueberry Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Fudge Cookies
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Orange Cake