These Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies have the perfect ratio of peanut butter to chocolate & are soft and chewy!
- Why are these cookies so special?
- Time to walk through the quick & simple steps to make these show-stopper cookies!
- Next, cream together the wet ingredients.
- Bring the dough together!
- Fold in the best quality chocolate chunks you have!
- Time to scoop!
- Then, bake and voila!!
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Questions & Reviews
Why are these cookies so special?
These Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are gluten-free & vegan!
I used Almond Flour as the gluten-free flour base, flax egg to make these cookies Vegan, and high quality chocolate chunks for much added flavor.
This recipe is adapted from the lovely, Erin McDowell's, Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from the NYT Cooking site.
Time to walk through the quick & simple steps to make these show-stopper cookies!
First, start by preparing the flax egg & set aside.
Then, whisk together the dry ingredients. There are only 3: almond flour, salt & baking soda.
Of course, I always recommend using Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour. This post is not sponsored, I'm just their biggest fan & they so kindly sent me some extra product to bake with.
Next, cream together the wet ingredients.
I prefer using a stand mixer for most baking, but you can for sure use a handheld mixer or even a rubber spatula.
Cream together the vegan butter, sugars & vanilla extract. Both brown and white sugar are recommended, but if you only have one kind on hand, use it!
Bring the dough together!
Add the flax egg into the butter mixture & mix until well combined.
Then, carefully mix in the flour mixture.
Fold in the best quality chocolate chunks you have!
I chopped a bar of Scharffen Berger semi-sweet chocolate and it worked wonders.
Time to scoop!
I scooped ¼ cup-fuls of cookie dough and placed them 2 inches apart on the baking tray.
Then, bake and voila!!
Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed meal
- 2 ½ tablespoons water
- 1 ⅓ cups almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons vegan butter softened at room temperature*
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated/cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ or ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter use more or less peanut butter depending on your preference
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped or chips about 1 cup
- Maldon Sea Salt to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To prepare the “flax egg” mix together a ground flaxseed meal with the 2 ½ tablespoon water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes, until it becomes a thick gel.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, sea salt & baking soda. Set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a handheld mixer with a bowl), combine the vegan butter, brown sugar, granulated/cane sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed 3-5 minutes, until combined and creamy.
- Next, mix the flax egg into the butter mixture just until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients (from step 3) into the butter-egg mixture and mix on medium speed just until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the chocolate chunks into the cookie dough.
- Using a ¼ cup, scoop about 9 cookie dough balls onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, leaving 2 inches of space between each mound of dough. If making smaller cookies (totaling 18 cookies), scoop 2-tablespoonfuls per cookie.
- Refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes (if you have the time).
- Bake cookies for 18-20 minutes in the middle oven rack. Sprinkle cookies with flakey sea salt right after baking.
- Allow cookies to cool on a wire baking rack for 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Maren Mayer says
These cookies look so good! Can't wait to try them! How many eggs can replace the flax and water mixture is we don't want to go vegan?
Dalya Rubin says
Hi Maren! You can replace the flax egg with 1 large egg, I believe. I haven't tested it, but I believe it should work perfectly! Let me know how they turn out. ❤️