Blackberry Compote is super versatile and can be used for a million and one things! Spread over bread, top off pancakes, or swirl through a cake batter; the options are endless!
Look at that bright pinkish-purple hue of the compote - Isn't it stunning?!
- Blackberry Compote is super versatile and can be used for a million and one things! Spread over bread, top off pancakes, or swirl through a cake batter; the options are endless!
- What Is A Blackberry Compote?
- How To Make The Perfect Blackberry Compote?
- What Can I Use the Compote For?
- If you love this recipe, try these!
- Blackberry Compote
What Is A Blackberry Compote?
It is essentially cooked down blackberries, typically cooked with sugar and lemon juice to balance out the sweet & tart flavors. You can use Blueberry Compote in place of a jam or preserves!
How To Make The Perfect Blackberry Compote?
When making a this compote, make sure you're starting off with fresh, delicious tasting blackberries. It's ok if the blackberries are tart, because we'll be adding sugar to the recipe.
The Ingredients You Will Need:
- Honey (or sugar)
- Fresh lemon juice
Begin with combining all the ingredients in a medium sized pot. Stir together just to disperse all the ingredients among each other.
Once ingredients are mixed in the pot, set the pot on the stovetop and bring the mixture to a simmer (over medium or medium-low heat).
Once the berries have cooked and thickened, it's time to remove from the pot to allow to cool slightly before using right away or storing away once cooled.
What Can I Use the Compote For?
If you haven't thought of every which way one can you this delicious condiment, let's dive in!
First off, spread the compote onto toasted buttery bread for the ultimate breakfast. Savory bread and sweet berries are the perfect combination!
Additionally, one cake make a vanilla cake batter and swirl the blackberry compote into the batter before baking. This will yield a stunning swirled cake.
Some other ways to use Blackberry Compote:
- Top pancakes
- Top waffles
- Fill blintzes
- Garnish on pound cake
- Mix into oatmeal
- The list goes on!
If you love this recipe, try these!
- To Die For Blueberry Muffins
- Summer Eggplant Tomato Onion Pie (Galette)
- Chimichurri Sweet Potatoes with Hemp Hearts
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 tablespoons honey or sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook 12-15 minutes until bubbly and thickened. Stir every 2 minutes to ensure the compote doesn’t stick to the pot. If the compote starts to boil at any point, turn the heat down to low so it is simmering.
- Once cooked, cool in a bowl or glass container. Then, use warm or store away for future use.