All the cozy feels with this Winter Kale Salad, perfect for any holiday gathering or even serve year round!
This post is sponsored by Pure Flavor®. All opinions are my own.
I am a huge salad lover, and when tasked to create a recipe to showcase the multi-color, flavor-packed Pure Flavor® Organic Sangria Tomato Medley in a recipe, my first thoughts went to what I call a "fun salad"!
I started using the term fun salad when I moved into my current apartment and had three roommates who all cooked somewhat similar to me, but also kept lots of nuts, seeds and random condiments stocked. Since I've moved in, on many Friday nights, we have a meal for Shabbat, and all contribute random odds and ends to a large salad. This results in such a fun salad!
Think all the best veggies, nuts and seeds, that pair nicely together thrown into a bowl, topped with a new dressing each week. This making of exciting, over-the-top salads has kept me looking forward to creating incredible salads each week.
Hence, I decided to create a fun salad for this collaboration and I couldn't be more in love with it!
This Winter Kale Salad has two leafy greens (kale and spinach), incredible Pure Flavor® tomatoes, and a variety of fresh vegetables paired with a balsamic vinaigrette and grilled/roasted chicken. Served as a side salad or a main dish, this salad will knock your socks off.
Let's get into the details so you can make this recipe for your friends and family!
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
For the Chicken:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic powder
For the Dressing:
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Maple syrup, honey or sugar
- Dijon mustard
- Ground black pepper
For the Salad:
- Fresh kale
- Baby Spinach
- Purple Cabbage
- Yellow Pepper
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Pure Flavor Organic Sangria Medley Tomatoes
- Pomegranate seeds
HOW TO MAKE WINTER KALE SALAD
- First, begin with roasting/grilling your seasoned chicken! I highly recommend grilling the chicken on a grill pan or outdoor grill, but if you don't have either (like myself at the moment), you can roast it in the oven to perfection. I highly recommend using a meat thermometer to monitor the temperature so your chicken will be perfectly cooked (about 160°F).
- Next, combine the dressing ingredients in a container or bowl and shake/whisk until well combined. Shaking the ingredients in a container will give you an incredibly emulsified dressing that will be a bit thicker and the ingredients will meld together better than if made in a bowl.
- Toast the walnuts for optimal flavor! Spread walnuts onto a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 6-8 minutes until fragrant. They will look slightly darker in color, but not burnt.
- Assemble the salad ingredients in a large serving platter or bowl and drizzle with the dressing. For photography purposes, I assembled the salad straight into this serving platter but still had leftover salad ingredients to make another half a platter. If making this for your family or guest, I recommend tossing ¾ of the ingredients in a large bowl, then place onto your serving platter if desired and top with remaining ingredients as garnish.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT KALE SALAD
Can I make it in advance?
Yes! You can bake the chicken up to 2 days in advance and keep it in a sealed container in the fridge until the day of. You can prepare the dressing up to 5 days in advance and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Toss all the salad ingredients together the day of and serve!
Do I need to massage the kale with my hands?
Yes! It is super important to massage the kale with your hands. It will make it softer, having a better texture that is more palatable.
Can I use a different protein instead of chicken?
Absolutely! You can add beans, crispy sausage, or even tofu this salad instead. The world is your oyster.
Can this salad be made vegan?
Absolutely! This salad is naturally vegan aside from the chicken. Swap the chicken for a vegan option such as fake chicken, tofu, beans or whatever you like.
Can I add roasted veggies to this salad?
Totally! Add roasted sweet potato or squash to this salad; it would be amazing!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole
- Cucumber Radish Salad
- Salmon Quinoa Caesar Salad
- Broccoli Crunch Salad